Sunday, January 22, 2006

Pink Vase

I got a note from Jim with pics of three unidentified pottery pieces, a vase and two bowls. I didn't think I'd have much chance of identifying the bowls (not something I collect, so not so familiar with them), but I thought I knew who made the vase. Boy was I wrong.

Jim thought the vase might be McCoy, but was unable to locate it in any reference books. From the first picture, I agree: I sure does look like a piece of McCoy.
pink vase

However, looking at the bottom of the vase I was no longer so sure:

pink vase bottom


We looked in our McCoy books but haven't had any luck finding it. The color looks a little bit like Brush (although Brush often has a larger S in the USA) but no luck finding it in those books either. For kicks, we also checked Morton (their look is inconsistent, so you never know), American Bisque (wrong coloration, but who knows?), Shawnee (the mark didn't look right, nor did the color), Watt, Camark, Muncie, Niloak, Robinson Ransbottom, and almost every other book we had.

So I'm stumped. When I see pieces that look as detailed as a McCoy but other parts of the design (like the mark) don't mesh, Ungemach Pottery is a possiblity. Fred Ungemach did work for McCoy (and his wife worked for Brush) before founding his own pottery, so there are extensive similarities. Unfortunately, there aren't any reference books for Ungemach so if it's not marked UPCO then there's no way to tell.

2 comments:

Jen said...

(I saw your alt text in the rss :) )

Anonymous said...

I too have a ceramic vase that has a similar numerical arrangement on the bottom.

730-5 (and I think there are " marks after the 5 or 1/2...not sure.) USA is under the numbers.

I've looked and looked for the manufacturer. Any help?

Not sure how to attach a picture, but I do have some.