Monday, November 20, 2006
We *finally* moved into the master bedroom. After the carpets were taken out, we discovered a lot of damage to the wood floors from prior rennovations from the previous owners. Places where walls formerly stood are filled in with plywood or badly patched, and there's paint all over: evidently they knew they wanted carpet during the last rennovation so whoever did it didn't use a dropcloth.
We've been able to remove much of the latex paint from the wood flooring using vodka. When I researched removing paint from wood floors online I found several resources that suggested rubbing alcohol. Whatever rubbing alcohol I had was still in boxes so I decided to improvise. Besides, vodka smells a lot better!
Unfortunately many of the paint spots are from oil-based paint and we haven't been able to remove them. With everything else going on with the house (argh, I don't even want to talk about the electricity!) I really don't want to have the wood floors sanded and refinished -- it's messy and expensive. We haven't figured out what we're going to do with them yet, but I guess we'll just have to wait till the other rooms are livable before we deal with the floors.