Monday, January 23, 2006

Madonna and Child Planter

Madonna and Cherub PlanterHere's another mystery piece from Jim. When I see a Madonna planter (or Mutter Maria as my mother calls it), I usually think Haeger, and this looks to be a Haeger mold #3264 "Madonna with Cherub Child" planter. It's 11 inches tall, and was originally marked with a foil label which is why there are no markings on the piece.

I found it on page 284 of Dilley's Haeger Potteries Through the Years. Book value is $20.

If you have a planter or vase with a completely glazed bottom with three dots where the piece sat during firing, that's a good hint that it may be Haeger. The apparent crease I see in the photo threw me off, but I think it's just a trick of the lighting. Usually the bottom is flat.
Madonna and Cherub Planter Bottom
The satin white finish was fairly popular on Haeger pieces, as well as Hull, Redwing and other American potteries. Haeger made several other Madonna planters as well, and I have only seen them in that finish.

No comments: