Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Donkiraffe?

Chris over at the Pottery Auction sends me a picture of a strange hoofed mammal:

Click this link to see a very strange pottery creature.
http://www.potteryauction.com/cgi-bin/merkatus.exe?lot=140674
Saw the scottie dog planters on your site (thanks) shall I send pics of the bottoms as someone requested?




In this case sending pics of the bottom probably wouldn't help, since he's got separate feet and no markings. Usually when a piece has one continuous bottom I can get a clue from what that looks like: the shape of the unglazed "feet" where the piece sat during firing is often a clue to the maker.

Grindley would have been my first guess for your animal, but after looking through the book I don't see anything like it. Also, the gold polka-dots I see on their animals in the book are either solid dots, or polka-dots in the shape of little padlocks. My second guess is California, although I don't have anything to back that up: there were so many California potteries that I've shied away from them for my collection. I'm afraid I'm stumped!

No comments: